Are you interested in joining the A&A Construction & Utilities, Inc. team?
We are currently looking for dedicated workers seeking challenging work at an experienced leader in utility repairs and installations for the positions below.
The following is a list of job requirements that A&A Construction and Utilities, Inc. considers necessary to the position. We will require that you be able to do anything on this list, but other duties and responsibilities are not limited to this list.
Responsible for assembling, connecting, and constructing pipe systems for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Ensures ground is prepped and trenches dug out for pipes. Aligns pipes and seals joints together with cement, glue, fuse or any other suitable connection. The pipe layer applicants should have experience working on underground, wet and/or dry utilities. Primary responsibility of a Pipe layer helper is to assist in each phase of installation of all types of
underground pipe, conduit, and cable. The applicants must be self-motivated, dependable, and have reliable transportation as this position services Maryland, DC, and Virginia Metropolitan area. Applicants must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and be able to take/pass a new hire drug screen.
The following are minimum abilities that the successful applicant must possess.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense, understanding to carry out detailed instructions, to deal with problems involving various situations.
- Mathematics Ability: Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers, multiply and divide 10’s and 100’s by 2, 3, 4 and 5, perform the four basic arithmetic operations with coins as part of a dollar, and perform operations with units such as inch, foot, yard, ounce and pound.
- Language Ability: Ability to print (to inscribe by whatever means) simple sentences, series of numbers, names and addresses. Also includes, the ability to communicate.
Physical Requirements & Surroundings
Lifting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Balancing · Climbing · Feeling · Stooping · Kneeling · Tasting / Smelling · Handling · Crouching · Carrying · Crawling · Talking · Reaching · Hearing · Lifting · Depth Perception · Color Vision
As you can see by the description above, the position requires a great deal of agility and balance. The physical demands of this position are important to your safety and the safety of those working around you. It is important that you can think and move quickly and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
OTHER PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (hard hat, eye and ear protection, safety vest, gloves, dust mask or respirator, fall protection gear, etc.). Ability to work in varying outdoor weather conditions.
- 6 months to 5 years of experience in the utility construction industry
- Ability to read prints and interpret utility maps to identify the type and size of underground utilities
- Basic knowledge of and ability to operate various types of utility trucks and equipment in a safe manner
- Maintain safe working habits/conditions according to all regulations and policies
- Must be able to bend, stand, sit, crawl, climb and lift throughout work shift
- Ability to communicate effectively with inspectors and co- workers.
- Encourage damage prevention to the excavating community
- Responsibilities for Pipe Layers.
- Experience with pipe work, Install underground pipes for: Sewer, Water, Storm Drain and Conduct
- Experience working with elevations
- Installing pipe, valves, fittings
- Operates necessary tools and machinery
- Pouring Concrete
- Experience on asphalt restoration and installation
- Maintains company equipment per service requirements and safety guidelines
- Follows supervisor instruction (verbal and written)
- Maintains a clean job site and secures job site each day to eliminate any hazards
- Ensures that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed
- Complete any task assigned by the supervisor
- Hand dig with shovel, mechanical tools, etc.
- Climb into and out of equipment (trucks, cars, backhoes, trenchers, etc.)
- Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains
- Seal joints
- Use glue or welding equipment to ensure pipes are tightly fitted
- Ensure pipes are fitted and aligned using grade rods or transit levels
- Cover pipes with dirt or other material
- Drill holes into pipes for auxiliary lines
- Dig trench by hand or equipment as required per job site
- Work around heavy equipment and machinery
- Work in congested or remote areas
- Maintain visual and audible contact with other crewman and all moving or stationary persons/vehicles/objects to ensure safe coordination of movement
- Work while wearing safety boots, safety glasses and hardhat
- Must be able to lift/carry a minimum of 50 pounds
- Hours/schedules are determined based on region and customer needs and in compliance with any regulations; on average – must be able to perform the above for at least 8 hours per day 5 days per week. Weekend work/Night work is dependent on work load
- Perform general construction work under direction of Foreman/Supervisor
- Clean and Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to pass a background check and drug screening
- Plumber Apprentice Card
- Correctly and consistently direct traffic around job sites
- Maintain the safety of A&A employees and the general public by being vigilant in monitoring and directing traffic
- Be able to follow directions and assist the Traffic Control Manager when necessary
- Communicate effectively with other flaggers, the foreman, and other employees
- Record license plate information of motorists violating safety protocol
- Effectively use hand signals and the traffic paddle to communicate with motorists
- Other duties may be assigned
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screening
- Must have steel-toe safety boots
- Must be able to handle the physical requirements of the job such as standing for long periods of time, kneeling, stooping, reaching hands in the air, etc.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to follow directions well
- Must have an excellent attendance rate
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Flagger Certification preferred, but not necessary